Q: Back up camera comes on and off when my headlights are on

The backup camera in my vehicle only works when the headlights are on or when I'm pressing on the brakes. What is causing this and what do I do?

The navigation unit and power train control unit use some common sensors to know when you are in reverse to activate the backup camera. If your backup lights do not work or other problems are happening, then I suggest having the body computer and power train control unit checked and scanned for problems before the navigation system is diagnosed as the problem. If you need help, a technician from YourMechanic can help you inspect your system to see where the problem may be occurring.

3. Back up camera comes on and off when my headlights are on