Q: I have a 2004 Land Cruiser that is showing the following problems: (1) for the past several months, when I go to start it, it will

asked by on September 04, 2017

I have a 2004 Land Cruiser that is showing the following problems: (1) for the past several months, when I go to start it, it will hang as if I am holding the key on -- and then I turn it off, try again, and it starts/ignites. But it's happening more frequently, and I have to 'turn it off and try again' more times than twice. (2) occasionally when I am driving, the electrical system will start flashing as if I have the hazards on -- the whole dashboard is blinking. I took it to our local knowledgable Toyota repair shop but they couldn't recreate the issues.

If the starter is not releasing from the flywheel, when you let go of the key, the starter likely has an internal fault. It is also possible that the circuit is not opening, as commanded, when you release the key. Regardless of which it is, the service to request to resolve that is an electrical circuit/component diagnostic. As far as the intermittent electrical fault, a strategy to deal with that is to make a note of "what" is "malfunctioning" during those episodes. Then look at those devices (the "what") on the factory wiring diagram. What you want to look for is a common ground or perhaps a device or board that could account for the fault. Through a systematic procedure you can at least rule in or out some easily tested possibilities. Apart from that, you literally have to perform a forensic examination of the entire circuit. It’s possible to do but is tedious. If you request the above diagnostic, the responding certified mechanic will get the starter issue resolved for you first and then give you a more expansive opinion on the other malfunction. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.