Q: What does my car start shaking when idling 1997 Ford Taurus

asked by on March 21, 2017

So my problem is my car is starting to shake and stall when idling. I noticed this a few months ago but it started right back up so I ignored it. However recently it's been happening more and more, Ill usually be at a stoplight when it just starts shaking and then the car powers off. I can usually get it to go right away but sometimes I have trouble starting the car in park so I'll have to try in neutral.

Hello. This can be caused by a number of things. Most of the time the issue is caused from a vacuum leak in the engine or a failure in the idle control valve. This is only true if the issue only happens at or near idle. I usually check these first and then check to make sure that the spark plugs are fine. If this occurs at higher speeds also then I will usually also test the fuel pressure to make sure that the fuel pump is not failing. If you want to have this running problem repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the engine is stalling] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-stalling-inspection