Q: Computer shows misfire cylinders and timing advanced banks codes

My car started to run rough and the computer was showing four codes: misfire cylinders 3 and 4, timing advanced banks 1 and 2. I thought the problem was the timing belt, so I took off the covers. The cam marks were lined up on both sides. I am not sure where it is supposed to be, but the crank mark was at the 12:00 position. Also I am not sure how the timing mark is to appear, but there is a white paint mark around the 1:00 position. Is the problem a timing problem or what else is the cause?

You didn’t say which exact timing codes were set, but these codes can also be set by a faulty camshaft or crankshaft sensor. However, more often than not, the problem is with the timing components. The timing belt only has to be off a tooth or so for these codes to set. There’s should be three alignment marks on your vehicle - one near the camshaft at the belt cover, one near the camshaft at the cam cap and one on the block near the crankshaft. The corresponding marks on the sprockets must match up exactly. To have this properly addressed, a qualified technician, like one from YourMechanic can visit your car’s location to diagnose the misfire and aid with repair.

3. Computer shows misfire cylinders and timing advanced banks codes