Q: Oil gauge fluttering.

Had rebuilt engine put in about 3 wks. ago. Oil gauge fluttered w/old engine (until gauge bottomed out & the engine blew). Gauge still fluttering w/[new] rebuilt engine. What could be cause? Thank you.

Hello. If the gauge is fluttering even with a new engine, then it may be possible that the gauge is faulty, or that it simply flutters in its operation. A minimal amount of movement on the oil pressure gauge is okay, however, if it drops excessively low or is bouncing erratically, it may be possible that there is an issue with the oil pressure. I would also check to see if the oil sending unit, and associated wiring and connector are in good shape and functioning properly, as these are the components that the oil pressure gauge gets its signal from. If everything checks out and the issue persists, then it may be possible that the engine requires a heavier viscosity oil.