Q: Fumes from breather - 1995 Acura Integra

asked by on October 11, 2016

Hi I have fumes coming from breather

Change Oil and Filter $92.33 - $165.78 Get a Quote
Smoke from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

There will always be some kind of fumes coming out of the breather, but they should be invisible. If you can see smoke coming out of the breather, something is wrong. Excessive smoke out of the breather can be a sign of excessive "blow by," combustion gasses that are getting past the piston rings. It can also be a symptom of head gasket problems.

The good news is, it may just be steam from excessive moisture buildup in the crankcase. If you drive your car on short trips a lot, you can accumulate moisture in the crankcase that never gets the opportunity to vent because the oil temperature never gets high enough. Try taking the car out for a long drive on the highway, at least a half hour, then right away change the oil in the car. That way you purge the moisture from the crankcase. If you still have excessive smoke out of the vent, then you may be having more serious issues that would need to be checked by a professional.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr