Q: Battery is good, but car won't start

I have ruled out the battery as being the problem because when my car won't start, all the lights on the dashboard are working. My car just won't turn over. The security tag was on for a few seconds, so I assumed that it was the starter that was the cause. After waiting for five minutes, I tried again to start the car. It still would not kick over and yet again, the security tag came up for a few seconds, then turned off. Later in the day I returned to my car to try again, but no success. All the fuses that I have checked seem in good condition and all the locks, windows, lights, etc. are working. What can you determine to be the cause of my car not starting?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado. My guess is that the problem is in the security system. The PASS key module looks for the resistor pellet on the side of the key. If it determines an incorrect key is being inserted, it will prevent starter and fuel injector operation. It will also turn on the security light you mentioned. The root cause of the security system malfunction could be a bad key, faulty module or a problem in the wiring. A professional, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your starting problem and repair this for you.

3. Battery is good, but car won't start