Q: I have a broken axle seal not the boot, but the seal on the transmission

I have a Loss of power could that be because of the axel seal leaking transmission fluid?

A: Hi there. The issue you’re describing is a ...

Hi there. The issue you’re describing is a common problem with many of Toyota’s Prius Hybrids. In fact, several 2010 - 2013 models have factory recalls on some transmission seals. When the seal is leaking fluid, it can cause a noticeable loss of power to the wheels, as the transmission is essentially slipping and not applying all the engine’s power to the drive axle.

Before you contact a local mechanic to inspect your transmission or replace the axle shaft seal, you may want to contact your local Toyota dealership to inquire about any factory recalls or safety bulletins for your 2011 Prius in regards to the transmission seal. If so, the replacement may be covered by Toyota. If you would like to have this looked at by a mechanic outside of the dealer, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the loss of power issue and follow through with repairs.