Q: trouble getting into reverse - 2010 Hyundai i20

hi, i have a hyundai i20 mk1, its a 10 plate car, and im starting to have problems getting it into reverse when coming from gear 1 or 2. some times it can take me up to 5 attempts and some other days it will go into reverse straight away, what advice can you give me please.

Hey there. This is a common problem when the transmission synchros are going bad. These are small forks in your transmission that help get your car in and out of gear. When these get worn or break, you will experience the same symptoms you are describing, which will get worse the more you attempt to get it into gear. If you would like to have the problem verified in person, a certified expert from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the shifting problem and assist you with repairs.