Q: Truck started in neutral once, now it won't start at all

I've bought this used truck and the other day it wouldn't start. The dashboard light came on. I attempted to jump-start it but it wouldn't. I managed to start it after putting it in neutral first and then to gear. However, when it wouldn't start again the following day, I tried putting it in neutral but this time it didn't help. What could be wrong?

A: This is just a guess, but the problem could...

This is just a guess, but the problem could be with the gear selector or the transmission position switch. The starter relay will not close and the vehicle will not crank, unless the switch is in the neutral or park position. A loose gear selector, faulty switch or out of adjustment shift linkage can prevent this. Any of these items may have intermittent problems like what you experience. I suggest you have your vehicle inspected by a trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose your starting issue and help you fix it accordingly..