Q: Engine misfire, cylinder 1. Car won’t start or turn over. Thoughts?

asked by on October 02, 2017

Car started to shake the check engine light came on and the car stalled. I pulled over and let it sit. Tried to restart but it wouldn’t turn over. I have a car scanner and plugged it in. It advised engine misfire cylinder 1. I had it towed to dealership but no diagnostic done yet. Tboughts

Hi Dave. Thanks for taking time to contact us today. Generally speaking, if the engine will crank over but will not ignite, and an engine misfire code has been detected, the root issue is likely going to be ignition related as opposed to fuel. A damaged camshaft or crankshaft sensor or electrical harness connected to them can cause this issue, as can a faulty distributor or ignition coil. The problem with OBD-II trouble codes is that they can often be misleading when diagnosing a problem; which is why most professional mechanics use them as a starting point in the diagnosis process. If anyone is best suited to find the root issue, a Porsche dealership is (unfortunately with cost) the best source.