Q: Timing belt ripped Mercedes benz e500 w211 2005

I had been driving for a 20 min and then i stooped and had the seatheater on for a minute if not less and continue driving and then suddlenly the stearingwheel became heavy and the screen started telling me that low battery and eps. Then i drove 500 m to park the car and then it started making a weird loud sound and i turned it off. After that i cheked the engine and found it ripped. I have mercides benz w211 e500 2005. What is the damage you think might have happened. There didnt seem to be any extreme issues otherwise, the engine could start after turning my car off, but what is the damage caused by timing belt ripping? Thank you beforehand

I think what your referring to as the timing belt is the serpentine drive belt. It’s the belt that runs all the accessories on the front of the engine. Power steering, Air conditioning, alternator are all driven by this single belt.

Usually it takes an accessory or a tensioner locking up to cause the belt to snap. But if the belt is very old, it’s possible that it gave up without there being any other damage.

You will need to inspect the accessories on the front of the engine to see if they turn freely, and install a new belt. You might hear noise from one of the accessories when the car is running with the new belt, if so, that part will have to be serviced to prevent you having to go through this again.

Installing a serpentine belt is like a rope trick, and there are special tools involved to set the tensioner on the Mercedes, so I recommend you have YourMechanic come to your home to inspect the noise coming from the belt and recommend a course of action.

3. Timing belt ripped Mercedes benz e500 w211 2005