Q: My car is making a weird rattling noise

My car has started to make a weird rattling noise within the last week. It wasn’t constant until today. At first it only rattled wHen my car was idling, stopped when put in neutral, or when sometimes when I hit bumps and took turns. Then today my car began making an even louder rattling when I initially speed up and go over 2000RPM, at or below that I’m pretty much rattle free. At first I thought it was the heat shield since I see that seems to be a common problem with this car but after today I’m not so sure. Really hoping it is a easy fix and not too hard on my wallet. Any ideas what it could be??

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

If the noise occurs at idle, typical causes are the accessory (belt driven) components, the torque converter or an engine component. As you describe the rattling, it is marked enough that a mechanic would likely pinpoint it quickly on inspection. If you suspect noise from the belt driven accessories, you can rule those in or out by running the engine momentarily with the belt disconnected. If you request a vehicle noise diagnostic, the responding certified mechanic will definitely find the origin of the noise. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr