Q: Engine fault, parking brake fault, and shifting problem - 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan

When I turned off the engine for 15 minutes and started it up again I got the messages of an engine fault and parking brake fault. I checked the fuses and the hand brake and they are good. When I was driving the speedometer wasn't working and the steering was heavy. When I accelerated the gears would not change into the next gear. I need some help please.

A: Hello. A battery or ground issue is my best...

Hello. A battery or ground issue is my best guess. There are very few things in the vehicle that can affect several different systems like you are experiencing. You're going to want to check the status of your battery and make sure it is still working properly. Some vehicles can still run to a very minimum extent when running just from the alternator. This will cause many issues with your alternator so be careful. If not a faulty battery, there is a chance that it could be a bad ground somewhere in the system not allowing the battery circuit to be completed. If you have had any work done recently to your vehicle, check the electrical components involved with that repair. A certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, can inspect the shifting issue, parking brake light, and engine fault, to get a clearer diagnosis of the faults on your car.