Q: Car feel jumpy when pressing gas pedal.

asked by on December 12, 2016

When pressing on gas pedal to speed up my car feels really jumpy. Almost feel like im driving on top of rocks. I feel it coming from the engine and it only last a few seconds. I dont hear noise. It happens randomly at any speed. Im worried it may be the transmission. Is it something I should worry about?

This may be a sign of a failing throttle position sensor. The throttle position sensor (TPS) is a sensor used to monitor the throttle position of the throttle plate inside the throttle body in relation to your foot position on the gas pedal. Based upon the inputs from the sensor reading your foot’s position on the pedal, the ECU then makes the direction to supply more or less fuel to the motor. When this sensor is not working properly, this can cause intermittent responses when pressing the gas pedal. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to you home to diagnose your vehicle’s running condition.