Q: I removed the needles in my gauge cluster. Now the fuel and temp shoot up and stay there. My speedometer needle also reads wrong.

asked by on March 15, 2017

So I removed my gauge cluster from my car, as my lights weren't partitioning well inside the cluster, so I removed all the needles and stuff to get behind them, it was going well until I put everything back together, everything seems to glide and return to it's proper position, but when installed back into the car, the speedometer doesn't read below 10 mph and is fairly inaccurate everywhere else, as well as when you turn the key the fuel and temp gauges both shoot up to the max and stay there, then return to the bottom when the key's removed, I've removed and tried to fix this multiple times now and nothing seems to work.

For the fuel and temperature gauges check the wiring to the gauges and see if they are connected properly. For the speedometer, the needle maybe in the wrong position and reading incorrectly. When taking off the needles to the gauges, the gauges could have disturbed the contacts inside the meters and caused the wiring to reverse themselves to give a false reading. If you are unable to repair the gauges, then I suggest replacing the gauges. If you need further assistance with your gauges not working properly, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.