My JEEP GC is coolant temp is high and I changed the them...

Q: My JEEP GC is coolant temp is high and I changed the themorstat

asked by on June 02, 2017

My check engine light came on and it was thermostat so j changed it and my coolant temp is much higher than before. Anywhere from 212 to 226 Is this bad? Or is this normal?

Hello, thank you for writing in. While that is a little higher than we would like to see, it is not overwhelmingly hot for the engine. Once it hits 260, you must cut off power to the vehicle. Anything over 260 degrees will seriously damage your engine. If you hit 280 degrees, its likely the engine has been damaged or ruined completely. This slight rise in average temp may be a sign that the water pump is not pumping fast enough. You also want to double check the level of your coolant, and make sure your cooling fans are tuning on to help the engine. You may also want to verify the radiator is not clogged. Again, while you are not in critical danger of overheating, there is cause for concern. Having the cooling system inspected would not be a bad idea, specifically if it gets any worse. For an inspection from our technicians, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.