Q: Dealer says the serpentine drive belt tensioner is leaking. I say, they are full of it, and it is a scam job to replace it.

I'd like to know if there is a way to check the drive belt tensioner (still mounted) to see if it is leaking hydraulic fluid or not? There is no noise, and the tensioner is not "wobbling". It appears to be fine.

Also, I have watched videos on online, and the question is, for a 2008 corolla (ninth generation) does the passenger side motor mount have to be temp. on-bolted, so that the long tensioner bolt is raised high enough for clearance of the body, in order to uninstall/reinstall?

A: Hello. In order to tell if it is leaking yo...

Hello. In order to tell if it is leaking you really need to get under the vehicle to see the bottom side of the hydraulic cylinder of the tensioner. I have seen a lot of these that are a little wet but they still hold good tension. The bad part is that it can fail at any time and cause some more serious issues. If you need to replace it then yes, the engine will need to be raised as they did not build it with a short accessible bolt. If you are thinking of having the tensioner replaced, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to replace the tensioner.