Q: Rear brakes make a loud squealing noise

asked by on May 23, 2016

I have recently purchased a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze that is a great and fun car, but it developed an issue with the brakes. The brakes are very loud. The squealing sound comes from the rear side of the vehicle. I took the car to the dealer but everythings seems fine, except the braking noise persists. What can I do to fix this?

Brake squeal can occur on the Cruze’s rear brakes due to brake dust accumulating in the drum. One thing that can be done to limit or eliminate the noise is to have the rear drums taken off, have the brake assembly cleaned with brake cleaner, and then lubricating the backing plate shoe bosses with an approved brake grease.

Once the drums are re-installed, the rear brakes should be correctly adjusted, since incorrectly adjusted rear brakes can also cause the noise. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the tools and expertise to inspect your brake system and service your rear brakes to limit and/or eliminate the brake squeal.