Q: What do i do if i put brake fluid in the power steering?

asked by on April 02, 2017

By mistake i put brake fluid in the power steering, what do i do? Do i move the car or turn it on or drain the fluid out with a turkey baster?
My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Power Steering Fluid Service $95.93 - $169.93 Get a Quote

The fluids are incompatible and brake fluid could damage the pump and rack. If you haven’t driven the car yet, or even turned it on, drain the reservoir by removing one of the lines from the bottom. Thoroughly and repeatedly flush clean power steering (or ATF) fluid through the reservoir to be sure all brake fluid is removed. Prior to draining and flushing it is OK to use a turkey baster to remove all fluid from the reservoir. As an added precaution, and not a bad idea as routine maintenance anyway, you can request a power steering flush, and that will further ensure that no brake fluid remains within the system. If you desire, you can request the power steering flush and the responding mechanic will drain and clean the reservoir as outlined above. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr