Q: Do I need to replace valve lifters after having the cylinder head rebuilt on my 2001 Toyota Camry

asked by on April 03, 2017

Hello. I am working on replacing my Head Gasket. After taking everything out, I resurfaced the Head and decided to do a VALVE JOB. I cleaned and lapped each valve to its own hole and now it is done. I made sure to keep each valve lifter organized to put it back in its corresponding hole. My question is, Do I now need to do something to the lifters now that the head is resurfaced and the valves have been lapped? Can I simply put the lifters back in place? If I mix one up, what can I do to correct the error? Thank you.

Hi there. When you have the cylinder head rebuilt and a valve job done then that will change the height of the valves in the head. The lifters are set a specific thickness to offset the depth that the valves are at. The valves will need to be set to the proper clearance using the correct lifters. With that being said you cannot mix them up and just install them without having issues. This should have been done by the machine shop when the cylinder head was rebuilt.