Q: Cd4e new pump and rod. Pressure builds 30sec then total loss.

asked by on August 03, 2016

2002 Ford Escape. Had cd4e trans pump lock up twisting pump shaft rod during commute to work at 50mph... Towed home and I replaced pump and pump rod which had snapped. Drove it 40 miles then it acted like it.was slipping some then I lost fluid. Engine light came on. Towed it home again. Flushed atf and ..new fluid, Now it will engage in all gears but only for a few seconds then lose all pressure. I shut it off, park it and about 15 min later start it with good pressure in all gears ...then loss. I think pump initially seized due to use of Mercon V that was not changed and old fluid broke down causing wear on pump internals...fluid at initial change was real gritty feeling. Any advice would help, its my daily driver.

If the transmission fluid was gritty when it first drained, the fluid when the pump shaft snapped off is not a good sign. The pump most likely bound up due to this metal that came through the system. When you flushed out the fluid, it does not clear the intake filter for fluid and it sounds like you are loosing pressure due to no flow of fluid through the filter. If filter is clogged, then try and see what type of metal it is clogged with to get idea if the internal transmission has a failed part. If you want to have this fixed, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your slipping issue and let you know what needs repair.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr