Q: Car idles for a while and then shuts off

I've been having issues with the car shutting off 20 minutes after I start it up. It starts idling for up to 20 minutes. During that time, the engine begins sputtering and eventually shuts off. After it fails to stay running, I'm not able to start it back again after a while. I've had the following parts replaced: fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel sending unit. I also used parts from other cars, which include the ignition control module, fuel pump relay, starter and the coil. I'm not sure what else I could do to fix the problem. Do you have any suggestions?

Hello. You will need to monitor the fuel pressure and spark plug spark at the plugs when the engine dies. I suspect you may have a defective ignition stator in the distributor. When you lose power, you should see the fuel pressure stay steady if fuel pressure is not a problem. The distributor stator inside the distributor is the least common but the only part you have not changed yet. If you would like to have this checked, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the stalling problem and have this issue addressed.

3. Car idles for a while and then shuts off