Q: I am buying a 2012 MB sprinter van with high mileage, it was previously a FedEx truck, what concerns prior to buying?

asked by on May 24, 2017

I'm looking at buying a Mercedes Benz Cargo Van 2500 170'WB EXT that use to be a FedEx van and has been inspected by an authorized MB dealer. I'm hoping to convert the van into a travel vehicle. I live in Dallas and the van is in Houston so I would like to get a mechanic to do a pre-buy inspection but would appreciate any advice on things I should be weary of as I move forward on this purchase.

Believe it or not, fleet vehicles such as a delivery vehicle like this are typically well maintained. The last thing they want is a vehicle breakdown and delay package deliveries to their customers. Prior to a test drive, check the condition of all the fluids. The oil on the dipstick and under the oil fill cap should look clean and not "sludged". The transmission fluid should also be clean and not have a burnt odor. Walk around the vehicle to see if it has any indication that it may have been involved in an accident - body panels that don’t line up, paint that looks or feels different, etc. On the test drive, try to drive it as long as possible. Include some stop & go as well as highway driving. There should be no squeaks or rattles over bumps, it should accelerate and shift smoothly, and brake with no pulsations or noises. Even though a dealership has inspected the vehicle, it may be a worthwhile investment to have a certified technician do a pre-purchase inspection. Any faults found may be a good price negotiating point for you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr