Q: How does the Perimeter alarm work?

How does the Perimeter alarm work?

Your car is equipped with a pretty advanced alarm system designed to prevent theft and break-ins. One aspect of that system is the Perimeter alarm. Here’s what you need to know about it:

• Make sure all the doors and the trunk are shut.

• To pre-arm the system, just press the Lock button on your remote.

• Press the Lock button again within three seconds. The horn should beep one time. This tells you everything’s locked up. If it beeps twice, it means a door is open, or the trunk is not shut.

• After you press the Lock button twice, the system will arm within 20 seconds. Watch for the parking lights to flash to indicate that the 20-second countdown to arming has started.

You can also pre-arm the system by:

• Pressing the Lock button on the driver door with the door open, and then shutting it.

• Pressing the 7/8 and 9/10 buttons on the keypad with the driver door closed.