Q: Need advice on changing brake pads and rotors

asked by on May 12, 2016

My car has about 55,000 miles. I am not sure what the quality of my brake pads are right now, or if they have ever been replaced. The car brakes just fine right now and has no issues, but I am anticipating needing to change the brake pads soon. What kind of pads would you recommend? Should I also change the rotors, and if so, what kind should I use? If I don't need to change anything out yet, how will I know when it's time to do so?

Brake Pads Replacement $134.60 - $456.66 Get a Quote
Brake Rotor/Disc Replacement $240.64 - $1093.41 Get a Quote

Your vehicle is equipped with brake pad wear sensors, which should illuminate a message on the dash when your pads are worn and due for replacement. However, it’s a good idea to have your brakes inspected by a professional to be certain. The OEM pads for your vehicle are semi-metallic, so you could go with those or upgrade to ceramic pads. Typically, ceramic pads make less noise and produce less brake dust. You’ll want to either machine or replace your rotors when you replace your pads. A professional technician will measure your rotors and determine if they are still thick enough to be machined. If you do need to replace your rotors, any rotor that meets OEM specifications will do.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr