Q: My car crank but does not start.

asked by on November 19, 2016

Car just shut off no bangs or clunks backfires out the intake when cranking used my scanner snap on ethos pro up to date software it's not reading the rpm changed crank sensor behind the balancer still not reading rpm when I crank it and still backfiring out the intake I have spark and fuel all the other sensors are working when I crank the car I don't know the exact specs for the sensors but they all work

Hi there. Check the camshaft position sensor and see if it has failed. Usually the engine will start and run with a partial failed camshaft sensor, however, when the sensor has failed completely and lost communication to the computer, then the engine will not start. Also check the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) and make sure that it is working. Unplug the sensor and see if the engine will start. If the engine starts with the MAF sensor unplugged, then replace the MAF sensor. If you need further assistance with your engine backfiring, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.