Q: Car popped and shut off

asked by on February 09, 2016

I changed my oil, but while putting the filter on, the rubber gasket on the filter was snagged as I tightened it. As a result, the oil leaked out without me knowing about it. When my car started making a rattling sound, I checked the oil and saw that is was very low. I replaced the oil and the car only made a rattling sound at higher RPMs. While driving it the next day, the rattling got really loud and something popped under the hood, causing the car to shut off.

Having a failure of the seal at the oil filter not only will allow the oil to leak but also to allow the oil pressure to drop as well. It is very possible based on your description that there may be some internal damage in the engine even possible bearing or rod failure. If your car was rattling, you may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, who will be able to accurately access the mechanical condition of the engine and who will have the equipment to run a compression and leak down test to ensure mechanical integrity of the engine and recommend repairs needed.