Q: Gear shifter moves without holding brake.

The gear shifter moves freely without having to engage the brake.

This could be an issue caused by a faulty neutral safety switch. This switch is what prevents the shifter from being moved without pressing the brake pedal. Enlist the help of a professional from YourMechanic to take a look at your neutral safety switch. The damage may be noticeable to the eye without even testing the switch. If the switch proves to be faulty, have it replaced as this can be a safety issue. If your vehicle is accidentally left in any other gear than park, it could roll away causing harm to your vehicle or others.

3. Gear shifter moves without holding brake.