Q: Loud knocking noise and then truck shuts off while driving 2002 Ford F250 Turbo-diesel

My husband was driving his truck to take off the trash tonight. He had only gotten about 1/2 mile down the road and heard a loud engine knocking noise, then the truck began to shake horribly bad. He knew something wasn't right and immediately tried to turn around to head home, but as he was trying to turn around, at the elementary school entrance the truck just cut off!! And never would crank back up. It tries to roll over but never would fire up. We had to have it towed home. Could this be a bad injector?? We are pretty confused on what caused this to happen. He's been hearing a faint knocking sound from time to time. Sometimes it would be louder than other times, and when it does knock, it seems to be louder at idle. What could have caused this?? We are concerned we are looking at several dollars to fix!

Hi - given your mileage, and your high mileage, I suspect this engine knocking could be a problem caused by worn connecting rod or crankshaft bearings; possibly to the point of connecting rod failure. Your mention of light knocking before was a possible clue for advanced bearing wear. I would recommend a thorough examination of the engine to determine the cause of this noise and engine stoppage. A mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, will come to your location, diagnose this engine knocking problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Loud knocking noise and then truck shuts off while driving 2002 Ford F250 Turbo-diesel