Q: Horn honks when the 10 minute run time times out.

asked by on March 10, 2017

Once the 10 minute run time on the car ends, the car honks to let the owner know it has shut off. Can this be shut off ?

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. This is security feature is designed to remind you the vehicle is still running to protect against thieves and high idle times. These idle times add to pollution, and are a main cause of excess engine wear. While there are several "aftermarket" changes you can make to the system, these are going to void the warranty on the vehicle. Some driver controls and alerts can be modified with the setting in the navigation menu, this is not one of them. You would have to make changes to the horn, or to the programming for the BCM. Both are costly and not guaranteed to resolve your issue without causing other problems.