Q: Replaced alternator

asked by on February 21, 2017

Replaced alternator but car died again went to oreily s said alternator was bad radio went put An car died had to jump it twice to get it home charged starts now no idea could it b serpitine belt

Hello, and thank you for writing in. With the new alternator installed, make sure the installation is holding. Double check all of the electrical connections are clean, dry, and tight. Make sure the battery is working and is capable of holding a charge, and that its cables and terminals are clean, dry, and tight. If you feel as if the alternator is not performing then you may have an issue with the drive belt, or the new alternator was a faulty unit to begin with (which does happen). With the car off, press on the drive belt and see if it gives way, as it should remain tight. The tensioner may need to be replaced if the belt is loose. Only further inspection will tell. For more help with the charging system, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.