Q: How do I open and close the hood?

How do I open and close the hood?

Being able to open the hood and then close it properly ensures that you’re able to keep tabs on the condition of vital things like engine oil level, brake fluid and the like. It’s simple to do, too. Just follow these steps:

1. Make sure you’re parked somewhere level.

2. Locate the hood release handle under the dash on the driver side.

3. Pull the handle back. You should feel the “pop” as it releases.

4. Move to the front of the car and feel under the raised front end of the hood for the release.

5. Push the release handle up.

6. Raise the hood.

7. Locate the hood prop rod and raise it.

8. Insert it into the hole in the front of the hood (look for an arrow by the hole).

To close the hood:

1. Raise the hood slightly while holding the prop rod.

2. Lower the prop rod and secure it.

3. Gently lower the hood until about one foot of space remains.

4. Drop the hood.

5. Make sure it latched securely.

Tip

If you have a V6 engine, you do not have a prop rod. Instead, gas shocks provide automatic lift. You’ll need to close it firmly when you’re done, though.