Q: Interior lights won't turn off - 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

asked by on November 13, 2016

Hi, when I turn my jeep off the interior lights don't turn off. I've checked the light switches by the doors and they all seem to be working fine. I did some research and thought it might be my headlight switch because sometimes it doesn't work, like the dimmer doesn't always go on high and all the modes don't always work. Do you think thts the problem. Or do you think there might be something else wrong. I don't wanna take it to the mechanic if it's something I can fix so if you could tell me tht would b great thanks!

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello. You are absolutely heading in the right direction. Finding out where the voltage is coming from might be easier to track with a voltmeter and wiring diagram of that circuit if you are equipped with such. This is the quickest way to find the source. If you know you are having issues with the headlight switch, then that is a great place to start. That dimmer switch does have an interior light setting which will connect the circuit and allow the power supply to continue to the bulbs.

If possible, you may want to replace that switch. The only way to verify that the switch is the electrical issue is with a voltmeter or by going ahead and replacing it. Otherwise, you have to trace the voltage to the point where it should be cutting off power but isn’t. It may be a short or touching of wires to another circuit that is always hot. It may also be a faulty switch (which is where my bet is at).

If you need assistance, then I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to perform an inspection for any electrical problems and suggest the necessary repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr