Q: SUV lurches forward with acceleration

When my SUV accelerates, it lurches forward. The lurching is sudden, spasmodic, and uncontrollable; it is very dangerous while driving in traffic and could cause an accident! There have been several near-misses. The engine’s software seems to be causing the problem. When I need to accelerate, the turbo charger ‘slams’ into action and the car is very roughly pushed ahead. In my opinion, someone needs to redesign this turbo charger’s controlling software so we drivers can know that when we press the gas pedal, it will steadily and smoothly increase in speed without this unpredictable, unsafe forward thrusting. Do you know how I can solve this problem with a permanent fix?

Hello. The first thing that I would do is to find out if the dealer has any technical service bulletins relating to your current problem. If there is a technical service bulletin related to your problem, you may be able to take the vehicle back to the dealer to have it repaired free of charge.

It is also possible that the primary control module (PCM) requires an update or reprogramming and that would solve the problem.

Lastly, the electronic throttle body could be malfunctioning which could cause the car to lurch forward during acceleration. It is possible that a repair like this would be covered under warranty if your has not yet expired.

If you’d like a second opinion on this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come diagnose the jerking with your car and suggest what to do from there. Best of luck.