Q: Exhaust smoke smells like gas or burning oil.

I have blueish gray smoke coming from the exhaust of my car. It smells pretty strongly of gas or burning oil.

A: Hi there. The smoke coming out of your exha...

Hi there. The smoke coming out of your exhaust is most likely oil being burned through your engine. The oil gets into the cylinder by a few ways. The first way is for the oil to get by the oil control rings of the pistons. The engine’s pistons would have to be removed and the rings replaced on each piston. Also, oil getting by the valve seals on the valves can cause the smell, which indicate the valve guides are worn. This would mean the heads have to be removed and rebuilt. The last cause is the engine has massive amounts of sludge and is clogging the oil entries. This would lead to the oil being sucked into the intake from lack of oil changes. All of these problems will require the engine to be checked and major repairs have to be done to fix it. I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect your vehicle’s smoke issue to be on the safe side and eliminate any doubts.