Q: 05 XL-7 CAN FRONT CRANK SEAL BE REPLACED WITHOUT REMOVING TIMING COVER?

CAN THE FRONT CRANKSHAFT SEAL BE REPLACED WITHOUT REMOVING THE TIMING COVER COVER AS SPECIFIED IN SERVICE MANUALS?

The seal has to be accessible (that is visible and there is enough room to pry it out) on removal and, as well, there has to be enough space to press it back in using an appropriate seal installation tool. If such space exists, there is no need to remove the cover into which he seal is pressed. It is a very light press fit. The book time on labor appears to be in the neighborhood of 11 hours or so which might be based on cover removal. The engine is transverse mounted. If looking dead on at the crank pulley you see a cut out in the inner fender that will accommodate a seal installation tool in line with the crankshaft, then there should be no problem. Seal replacement of this type is a standard YourMechanic procedure and so if you request crankshaft seal replacement the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. 05 XL-7 CAN FRONT CRANK SEAL BE REPLACED WITHOUT REMOVING TIMING COVER?