Q: Car begins to roll when the shift lever is in park had only starts in the neutral position, just rebuilt the transmission

asked by on May 12, 2017

Shift lever loosely shifts on park and reverse without pressing the break pedal, neutral and drive shift normally but the lever shifts into third,second and first the lever has a lot more resistance. When the gear shift lever is on park the car begins to roll, E-brake required to keep car parked . Rebuilt the transmission due to the malfunctioning of the 3rd gear. Car wont't start while its in park but will start when its on neutral. Replaced spark plugs and plug wires. Suspecting that it be the Neutral Safety Switch or the shift linkage cable.

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The neutral start safety switch could be misaligned or a fault in the linkage and./or cable could be contributing to the problem because "Park" is not actually reached when you move the shifter. The whole mechanism from the manual lever on the transmission up to shifter will have to be inspected. The manual lever should be inspected separately inasmuch as you indicate abnormal resistance in certain gear selections. In addition, it sounds like the shift interlock may not be functioning. The recommended service to obtain a diagnosis of all of these issues is a shift linkage/interlock inspection. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.