Q: Smell smoke when starting

When I start my car, I detect the smell of smoke. In addition, the hood is very hot after driving, which suggests to me that the engine is overheating. I can also hear a loud grating noise when the brakes are pressed.

The smell of smoke may indicate that you have a slight oil leak on your engine somewhere. The hood will get hot, and this is normal. The engine compartment can be 200 degrees fahrenheit or maybe even a little hotter. If the engine is overheating, the gauges in the instrument cluster will let you know. The loud grating noise when you apply the brakes is either indicating that your brakes are worn out, or you have an excessive amount of rust built up on the brake rotors. I would ask for help from one of the mechanics at YourMechanic so they can come and diagnose the overheating issue, as well as the loud noise coming from your brakes, and make any needed repairs.

3. Smell smoke when starting