Q: How do you know if the ignition needs to be replaced when you replace the plugs on dodge 5.7 hemi?

asked by on March 10, 2017

I am going to change my plugs, how do i know if the ignition coil needs to be replace. Put 55 thousand miles on her so i know it is time for plugs. Have 16 plugs expensive.gas mileage has drop a little and going to try myself but was told it may take 2- 3 hours. Do you automatically change the coils?

Thanks Mark

Hi there. To determine if the ignition coils need to be replaced, remove one park plug wire at a time and hook it up to a spark tester gauge and set the gauge to 10 thousands gap and increase it to 60 thousands gap. If the spark does not appear after 25 thousands gap, then the coil is too weak and needs replaced. If you need further assistance with your ignition coils, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.