Q: Knocking noise in 2012 Kia Sorento

Hello. We bought a Kia Sorento in May of this year. It's been making a knocking noise in the front driver's side ever since we bought it. We financed it and it came with a year warranty. We've had their service department look at it twice now and they say they've fixed the problem. The knocking has gotten worse. The service guy told me the knocking sound was a strut and that even if they put a new one on it wouldn't tak away the noise. "It's just the nature of the vehicle" to make that sound. Bull! I know nothing about cars but I can tell when there is a problem. Like I said they've had it in for service twice for the same problem and it never gets reaolved. Do you have any advice on what our next step might be? Thanks in advance.

Hello. If they did not replace the upper strut mount along with the strut, that may be the source of your noise. The upper strut mount retains the strut and spring together as an assembly.

It is then bolted through the chassis and is visible under the hood of the vehicle on top of the wheel wells. The upper mount is a combination of rubber and metal. If that mount is weak or broken, it can allow the strut to move up and down over bumps and dips, contacting the chassis and make a rattling or banging sound.

Since you are dealing with an extended warranty, you may want to try another dealership if you have no success with the one you are using. The extended warranty should be honored at any dealership. Alternatively, if you’d like to have an independent mechanic take a look, then a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your location to inspect the noise and assess what repairs are needed.