Q: Check engine light came while driving. Is this a serious problem? car seems to be running fine. 2004 Hyundai SantaFe

asked by on December 04, 2016

B260N01A-AAT Malfunction Indicator Light This light illuminates when there is a malfunction of an exhaust gas related component, and the system is not functioning properly so that the exhaust gas regulation values are not satisfied. This light will also illuminate when the ignition key is turned to the "ON" position, and will go out in a few seconds. If it illuminates while driving, or does not illuminate when the ignition key is turned to the "ON" position, take your car to your nearest authorized Hyundai dealer and have the system checked. This is what the owner's manual said. Is this something to worry about? On fixed income, and cannot afford to go to a shop if not absolutely necessary. No indications of any other issues.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello - the Enhaust Gas Recirculation - EGR - system reduces emissions by recirculating exhaust gases that are not completely burned back through the engine. This is done in a timed manner under certain conditions. If this system is not working properly, your engine is spewing additional contaminants out the exhaust pipe, and possibly contaminating the catalytic converter. You will not pass emissions testing with this condition (if that is required in your location). This is really some to have fixed to avoid future repair costs or complications. I would have an engine emissions inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs. This will determine exactly what is the problem here, and what repair is necessary.