Q: Manual transmission makes noises - 1994 Nissan D21

The truck has gone close to 200,000 miles. A month ago, the manual transmission started making noise in third and fifth gear. It occurs when the drivetrain is loaded or gas pedal depressed. When there is no load, there is no noise at all, whether in gear or during coasting. I had all the fluids checked and they look fine and are at good levels. There is also noise that has been occurring for a couple of years now. It's noticeable when my foot is off the clutch and I put it in drive or neutral. If I then press the clutch, there is no noise at all. What could be causing this?

Hello. It sounds like you have a gear, bearing, bushing, or other rotating component issue caused by wear. At that mileage, really the thing to do is just simply rebuild the transmission which is not particularly difficult since it is manual type. There are probably multiple parts which are worn and all should be simply addressed at one time. If you need to have this checked out, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the noise and let you know what needs repair.