Q: Broken serpentine belt

Okay, well my serpentine belt snapped and my mechanic told me that I needed to buy a smaller one so we don't need it to go around the AC component because that was what made it snap, well my car and AC still function if the belt isn't around the AC component?

A: The drive belt that snapped spins the alter...

The drive belt that snapped spins the alternator, power steering pump, and air conditioning compressor. If the AC compressor seized and snapped the belt, the proper way to repair this is to replace the AC compressor and replace the drive belt.

The smaller belt option your mechanic gave you is a last resort repair. I would suggest this if you cannot afford to replace the compressor, or the part is unavailable and you absolutely need to drive the car. Installing a shorter belt bypasses the bad AC compressor, so your AC will no longer work while the alternator and power steering still function.