Hi, I’m in an emergency situation. Where do I put radiato...

Q: Hi, I’m in an emergency situation. Where do I put radiator stop leak in my 98 Beetle. I have water in the reservoir

asked by on September 30, 2017

Where do I put radiator stop leak in my 98 Beetle. The reservoir kept leaking. I use water. I couldn’t find the leak. Finally I saw a somewhat slow leak from under the front right side coming out. I’m in an emergency situation & can’t fix car for a week. Can I put radiator stop leak liquid in the reservoir ? Thank you. Yes, I am a woman. :)

Hi Claudette. Thank you for contacting us tonight. Actually, using stop leak is NOT something that would fix this issue. If the overflow reservoir is leaking, then it needs to be replaced. Stop leak is made for radiator leaks, but I don’t recommend that as it’s a cheap patch, that tends to clog up other cooling system components and lead to serious overheating issues. Before you buy any stop leak or other products, it’s best to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a coolant leak inspection. Perhaps the leak is coming from a damaged cooling hose as opposed to the radiator overflow. If you’re able to get the issue fixed next week, the best recommendation I would suggest is to keep adding water to the overflow reservoir and keep an eye on the temperature gauge on your VW. As long as you don’t overheat, adding the water should be OK. It might be better to have one of our professional mobile mechanics come to your location to complete a coolant leak inspection, so they can determine exactly where the leak is coming from. This will ensure the right repairs will be completed.