Q: My car will not start without a jump

My car drove to work fine, I went to start it when I left and it wouldn't start, I figured I left a light on or something and I got a jump and it started, while I was driving it my stereo was going in and out and my check engine, abs, battery, and airbag lights all came on. When I got home and turned off my car it would not start again. I had to get a jump and all the lights came back on, now my car is making a whistling sound and my cat was silent before, why is it doing all of this suddenly?

A: This sounds like your alternator is going o...

This sounds like your alternator is going out. It maybe outputting just enough power to allow the car to run once you get it started, but it isn’t putting out enough power to recharge your battery. Either way, you need to have the battery tested first followed by your alternator. The whistling sound is most likely the alternator. They will often make various humming or whistling noises when problems occur.

Based on your description, it is likely your alternator. Although, the battery could be the source of the problem for detailed reasons beyond the scope of this forum. For this reason, the battery should be thoroughly tested before the alternator is condemned.

If you need help with getting these components checked, consider YourMechanic. A certified technician will be able to assist you by diagnosing the issue with your battery and fix it as necessary

Good luck!