Q: Cylinders are not getting power

asked by on July 26, 2016

There are two cylinders in my car that are not getting power. At first, I thought they were misfiring, but the mechanic used the tool with the positive and negative ends and found that there is no power getting to the cylinders. He replaced the coils and spark plugs - but no help. The car sputters when I drive it. The mechanic also said that there might be a problem with the power modulation chip and he suggested that I go to the Ford dealership to have it reprogrammed. Before going there, I’d like to know your diagnosis and advice.

Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

It is not impossible that your Lincoln MKZ may have some computer problems that reprogramming can solve. However, a problem may exist with the wiring that is associated with the ignition coils on the two cylinders that are not getting power. This wiring problem is common in some vehicles because small animals such as rodents can chew on the wiring and eat the insulation right off. This can cause issues for the engine because it relies on the integrity of the circuitry in the ignition system. I would recommend having the wiring that is associated with the two problem cylinders thoroughly inspected in person to ensure the engine’s loss of power is diagnosed correctly.