Q: Van makes a thud sound when making a right turn at low speeds

asked by on May 13, 2016

When driving and making a right hand turn, I hear a faint thud sound. It happens most noticeably at low speeds, and it happens every time I make a full turn of the steering wheel. It sounds like it is coming from underneath the driver's side floorboards to the left of the brake pedal. What could this be?

Hello. The most common cause of this issue is worn out rack and pinion bushings. The bushings hold it in place and keep it from moving when you are turning. Over time, these will wear out or will get oil on them causing them to get soft. When this occurs, the rack and pinion will move when turning.

When this occurs the noise that you are hearing will happen. I typically start by getting the vehicle in the air to check it for any worn out suspension or steering bushings. If you need to have this looked at, consider using YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your steering and suspension. From there, they will be able to make any repairs that are necessary to have this sound resolved.