Q: My 2005 Acura TL is not accelerating but rpm is going up and down erratically. What is causing this?

I was driving on the highway and going 65 mph when I had to slow down to switch lanes, I tried to accelerate and the car wouldn't go but the rpm were going up. I couldn't drive past 40 mph. Once this happened the car decelerated on Its own and the rpm kept swing up and down but the car wouldn't go faster.. then it would almost stop. Just kept hearing the engine rev without constant movement. I exited, turned car off and on and it would be fine then act up again.. it kinda felt like the gas wasn't reaching the engine and that maybe the gear was stuck..
My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hey there. If the vehicle has a manual transmission, your issue can be caused by a worn clutch. When the clutch is worn, it no longer has the clamping strength to transmit power from the engine to the transmission. This can cause the engine to rev but the vehicle speed does not equal the engine speed.

If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, the problem can be caused by a couple of issues. One could be the torque converter. The torque converter transmits power from the engine to an automatic transmission in a similar manner that a clutch does with a manual transmission.

Also, automatic transmissions do have internal clutches but they are considered "wet clutches" as they are immersed in automatic transmission fluid. If the internal clutches are worn, your vehicle can act similarly to a worn manual transmission clutch - the engine revs but the vehicle speed does not match. Have a certified technician diagnose your transmission slipping concern as soon as possible.

• My 2005 Acura TL is not accelerating but rpm is going up and down erratically. What is causing this?