Q: Car shuts off when the weather is hot

My car seems to be shutting off every time it gets hot outside.The dashboard is now showing the check engine light on. There is also the code indicating the cam sensor issue. During the cold months, there are no issues whatsoever. But when I went on a longer trip about a year ago when it was really hot, the car shut down on me several times. I restarted it each time and it immediately started up, but soon shut off again. I had the fuel pump replaced. The fuel filter is new as well as the coolant valve. Other than that, when I remove the gas cap, there is usually no air release. Also, when I fill the gas tank at the station, it won't fill it properly, as it reports as being full. What could be causing these issues?

A: Hello. A bad cam position sensor will cause...

Hello. A bad cam position sensor will cause a Check Engine Light to come on and possibly cause a stall or no start condition for your 2000 Mercury Mystique. Cam position sensors usually develop their problems when hot, so this is likely why you don't experience any issues during the colder months. The gas tank not filling up properly could be due to a clogged EVAP system. A clogged EVAP system can also cause a Check Engine Light. I suggest that you have a technician inspect the EVAP system of the gas tank for clogging, as well as check other systems, in order to diagnose your stalling issue. Also, have the technician retrieve codes for the Check Engine Light and monitor the live data of the EVAP system and cam position sensor.